Trying to understand the Design phase made me realise that, in my mind, I have this very broad plan for e-learning, but that I will have to consider each aspect in much more detail if want to ensure any measure of success.
My main goal will be to facilitate the process of collaborative learning among the students during their fieldwork experience and to enhance their clinical reasoning through a process of reflection and discussion. Learning objectives will be written accordingly.
I am still unsure about the way in which I will measure some of the objectives, especially the type/depth of reflection/s by students. Our students are evaluated in many different ways during their clinical block and I am just worried that another possible 'evaluation' may have a negative effect on their participation and their motivation. In my survey with the students they emphasized that students should enjoy using the blog. On the other hand, this blog must facilitate learning and how will I know whether they have learnt. I will have to think about this one.
The students' feedback regarding the blog (at the end of the clinical block) will be essential to keep the ADDIE process going. Any suggestions for that?
In a more personal/affective sense I have to confess that I feel a bit overwhelmed by this module. Just as I think that things are starting to make sense, I realise that that is actually not the fact and that I am on a very steep learning curve. I keep climbing!
Qualitative interpretation of the students' questions/reflections/comments/participation during the fieldwork placement and their feedback at the end of the fieldwork rotation will give you a good idea of whether learning has taken place. This is not only an opportunity for collaborative learning, but also self-directed learning; the extent and efficacy of the students' use of the blog as a learning opportunity will serve to inform this.
ReplyDeleteThe assessment can be done on the blog at the end of the fieldwork placement, but one is not sure how honest the feedback will be if students' use of the blog is to be evaluated. Anonymous feedback/evaluation in the form of a short questionnaire or evaluation form might yield more trustworthy information. Experience has taught me that if students know that their feedback is required to ensure better practice in future, they are quite motivated to give positive & negative feedback and suggestions.
Good luck 'climbing' the learning curve - you seem to be having some momentum. You will get there. I am trying to climb this mountain with you, but I think I am lagging behind somewhat.