- Needs assessment was discussed in the previous posting.
- Audience analysis - This will consist of B.OT III & IV students whom I will supervise during clinical work. It is expected that the senior students will have a broader knowledge base and more advanced clinical reasoning due to previous (although still limited) experience in fieldwork. All the students always mention that they are very busy during their clinical blocks and it must therefore be accepted that they will not be able to spend too much time on e-learning - which will probably only take place after work - unless they are allowed to work on computers during work hours (These rules are different in areas of fieldwork).
- In one article (and I suppose there are many other views) that I read (Ladyshewsky & Gardner, 2008) it was recommended that blog 'group sizes should be larger than 5 but less than 10 to maximise social constructivist discourse, to compensate for lurkers and those who reflect poorly or contribute little, and to keep reading volume to an acceptable load'. The groups that I usually supervise vary between 3-4. There are other areas that are very similar to those where I supervise students and I wonder whether it would be feasible to try and get the other supervisor on board and in that way have a bigger blog group. I realise that this will mean good communication and organisation between the different supervisors.
- Content analysis - I foresee that this will mostly be discussions regarding certain topics, posting of interesting videos and references to literature. One thing that I am wondering about is whether one is allowed to post any video or interesting website on your own blog, etc? How does copyright work on the internet?
- Technical analysis - All the students that I work with have access to the internet. I currently expect them to email reports to me and there does not seem to be a problem with that. However, I am unsure about their knowledge and skill in using a blog (at the moment I think that is what I will use). My own knowledge and skill in facilitating learning by means of a blog is also limited and instruction and practice will be needed.
- Structural analysis - The structure of the course/learning will have to take into account that the students have limited time at hand, but I still think it will be necessary to expect at least one posting per student per week. Time for instruction in the use of the block will also have to be scheduled - I think the best time will during my first meeting with the students in their first week of the block. Information can also be emailed to them beforehand so that they can practice and maybe make one posting.
- Resource assessment - Will I be able to get help from SU IT dept?
I would really appreciate any feedback to know whether I am on the right track or not.
Reference
Ladyshewsky, R.K., Gardner, P. 2008. Peer assisted learning and blogging: A strategy to promote reflective practice during clinical fieldwork. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 24(3), 241-257. Available at: http://ascilite.org.au/ajet/ajet24/ladyshewsky.html
Reference
Ladyshewsky, R.K., Gardner, P. 2008. Peer assisted learning and blogging: A strategy to promote reflective practice during clinical fieldwork. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 24(3), 241-257. Available at: http://ascilite.org.au/ajet/ajet24/ladyshewsky.html
In my opinion your worry about the time constraints might eventually prove not to be such a big hurdle. After working hours, students (formally/informally) reflect on their clinical work during the day and spend time on writing reports. What you are suggesting is, in part, an extention and formalization of this process. Students will probably - especially at first be very motivated to try out the 'blog-approach' as most of them are comfortable using technology as part of their 'study methods'. As a matter of fact it might even save time as they will have the opportunity to ask questions or start a discussion that can be addressed before you have your weekly appointments with them.
ReplyDeleteWith regards to getting other supervisors involved - have your thought about getting the supervising clinical therapist involved in the process?
The one concern I have - and this is not only with your idea, but generally - is confidentiality. As soon as students start discussing clients/patients on a forum such as a blog, the ethical rules regarding confidentiality is in danger of being breeched. I would suggest that this is discussed in preperation of students getting involved.
Yes, I agree that confidentiality should be discussed with the students before they start blogging. There should be definite rules in that regard.
ReplyDeleteI do like blogging (this module being a case in point)! So I tend to gravitate towards the technology. Reasons are relative ease-of-use; creation of community; multiple authors on the same blog etc. The multiple authors one is most relevant as I would suggest that you only have ONE blog on which you as well as the students (or whoever needs to be on the teaching team) work. In this way one could:
ReplyDelete1. Make administration easier as you do not have to watch a lot of blogs the whole time (for both facilitators as well as students).
2. You can have different levels of access (e.g. administrator (you), editors (other facilitators) and authors (the students)) and this will provide the necessary channels for communication, content and administration.
3. With one blog you create a sense of community ("our blog")
4. You have the chance of creating a powerful research for the future as blogs usually are searchable (tagging and categorisation therefore is crucial).
About your other questions:
* Content and copyright: If you embed or link to other authors' publicly available sites you are covered. Also with YouTube and Slideshare etc you can easily embedd without worries as the process takes care of author acknowledgement. Do not, however, upload a PDF article e.g. as you are breaching copyright. If one is facilitating inside a LMS (like Blackboard) then one can get copyright clearance for articles etc through CHEC and our copyright clearance processes, but on a public blog this will not work.
** On SU IT help: If it is SU students then it will be possible, e.g. to set up a Wordpress blog on the SU http://blogs.sun.ac.za server. I, or others at the faculty can assist with this process.
Last word on blogs: The cell phone rendering capabilities of both www.blogger.com as well as any Wordpress blog is quite astounding. This makes blogs a great tool for creating interactivity for both PCs as well as cell phones with browsers (have you looked at your own blog on your cell phone?)
Other ways of staying in touch could be through Facebook (although it is maybe too public) and I dont think group sites on Facebook gets added to the cell phone version of Facebook (I might be wrong).
One could also use Twitter integrated with a blog for more immediate short types of messages - but maybe you should focus only on the one technology now!
Good luck - sounds like a plan (or maybe that is just me talking to myself!)
I have a few critical questions about a blog as tool for deep learning.
ReplyDeleteIt is a great share-and-tell tool to post and comment on experiences, thoughts and academic learning. It can engage students longitudinally in a discourse and assist in sharing project information to ensure continuity and sustainability in community service-learning activities.
The question is how do we assess rich affective-cognitive critical reflection (ACCR) in an open blog environment? ACCR is one of the richest/deepest ways of engagement/reflection/learning, but I'm doubtful if it can really allow the richness on a blog without giving a taste of the Jerry Springer show?
So in the end a blog may not be the ideal tool for students to produce rich reflections, but to share events and experiences and engage in academic discourse.
However, clear guidelines for structured reflection could assist students to make sense of the integration between theory, clinical training and community interaction. But in an open, blog-type environment real ACCR may not be possible.
But I still like blogging... and hate the Harry Springer Show!
Sources:
Ash, l., Clayton, P.H. & Atkinson, M.P. 2005. Integrating reflection and assessment to capture and improve student learning. Michigan Journal of Community service Learning, Spring: 49-60.
Deng, L. & Yuen, A.H.K. 2011. Towards a framework for educational affordances of blogs. Computers & Education, 56:441-451
Du Plessis, J.M.J. & Smith-Tolken, A.R. 2009. The significance of emotions in enhancing effective learning through reflection in Service-Learning. Ongepubliseerde referaat gelewer by die 3de Internasionale Diensleer-simposium. 22-24 November, Athene.
Kim, H.N. 2008. The phenomenon of blogs and theoretical model of blog use in educational contexts. Computers & Education, 51:1342-1352
Robertson, J. 2011. The educational affordances of blogs for self-directed learning. Computers & Education, 57:1628-1644.
Smith-Tolken, A.R. 2010. Community engagement at a higher education institution: exploring a theoretical grounding for scholarly-based service-related processes. Ongepubliseerde doktorale proefskrif. Stellenbosch: Universiteit van Stellenbosch.
I think these are valid questions and I will seek to find more answers.
ReplyDeleteLadyshewsky and Gardner (2008) found that blogging among physiotherapy students provide them with opportunities to build social constructivist discourse networks. It assists the students with reflective practice, clinical reasoning and adds value to their learning experience. However, there are students who avoid making 'deep' comments and who keep things superficial. According to the students it takes time to develop trust. So I suppose your concern regarding real ACCR is valid. (I think our group may be a good example of this as well)
The authors also state that there is a need for clear guidelines to students and moderators to support them in the blogging environment to optimise learning outcomes. Moderators also need guidelines on how to be an effective facilitator.
Anyway, I will try and find more info on this subject (and I also do not like Jerry Springer).