But then I started to read more about e-learning - and specifically about e-learning in OT. Just for some background: I work as a part-time lecturer and supervise students during their clinical blocks at various hospitals. I am responsible for certain teaching activities as prescribed by the SU OT division and examples of my work include the refinement of skills, application and integration of theory and practice, feedback and clinical assessments. At these various hospitals the students also work under the direct supervision of clinical OTs who act as role models with regard to treatment, teamwork, etc. They also supply regular feedback to the students. I only meet with the students once of twice a week and have often felt frustrated by this limited contact as I can not always deal with the students' problems and needs timeously. Due to the frequent clinical assessments expected by SU OT division, the teaching opportunities are also limited. So there is a need from my side, and from the students' side, to have more regular contact. I would also like to be able to supply them with learning material according to their needs and to be able to discuss this with them (at the moment this learning material is sent via email, and discussion thereof is limited).
Findings from studies by Scanlan and Hancock (2010) and Thomas and Storr (2005), indicate that a tool for online discussion during fieldwork (clinical work) can :
- assist in problem-solving;
- facilitate reflection and self-directed learning;
- can support students (to a degree) in engaging in higher-order elements of reasoning;
- facilitate peer collaboration and the exchange of ideas among peers.
Scanlan and Hancock (2010) recommend that more senior students can also act as mentors for junior students during online discussions.
After reading this I have decided that I would rather design an e-learning tool whereby I can facilitate discussion and facilitate learning by the students that I supervise during clinical blocks. They are usually not at the same hospitals and are in third- and fourth year. Online discussions will address the current need for more regular contact, and the students will be able to discuss problems with me, but also among themselves (improved collaboration). I will also be able to supply them with additional learning material, for instance information regarding home assessments (as per my original thought).
What do you think? Any feedback on this proposal will be appreciated.
References
Scanlan, J., Hancock, N. 2010. Online discussions develop students' clinical reasoning skills during fieldwork. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 57, 401-408.
Thomas, A., Storr, C. 2005. WebCT in occupational therapy clinical education: Implementing and evaluation a tool for peer learning and interaction. Occupational Therapy International, 12(3), 162-179.
Your idea sounds like an interesting and viable one. I think the most appealing aspect of what you are proposing is that the senior students will be able to support, mentor and mediate junior students while you are actively involved as to facilitate, mediate, mentor and guide the process.
ReplyDeleteI agree with activelearning OT - the idea is viable as it proposes using a flexible technological platform that can share content and facilitate discussion. Also the peer-to-peer/ mentor idea is great.
ReplyDeleteOne of the the most important shifts to make is seeing past e-Learning in terms of content, and moving the focus towards communication, dialogue and interaction. It blends with Stef's recent comment (http://mphilhse.blogspot.com/2011/10/i-am-worried-digital-immigrant-and.html#comments) about content being ubiquitous and the use of that content and the assessment of that content (through communication strategies e.g.) will be more important in future.
The mobile part of the plan is also great as it addresses the students "on the move" and if designed well, will give them the "lecturer in your pocket" feeling.
Looking forward to your next "move"
After reading The article on Hybrid learning I have a better idea of what you meant with your comment above. Thanks for that.
ReplyDelete